Thursday, April 9, 2009

tightwad or frugal you decide?

I have for many years taken the piss out of my DH for his frugal/tightwad ways as his father said he would buy shit in a bucket if it said bargin or sale! that said he has found some amazing deals, and truth be known I am on the same page, but I work differently, if I want or need something I start by looking at what I already have, its amazing how many times after thinking for a few days, that I find the ideal item in the house! such as my raised bed in previous post, this grew from a previous idea, when I wanted hubby to take a old bed frame to the dump, as we struggled down stairs with the headboard I suddenly thought! I could use this as a trellis, DH happy all round, not only have I saved money by not having to buy trellis, but I saved him a trip.

any road up I have surpassed my self in the last 2 days, first was I walked down to the local super market and needed eggs noticed a $1 off coupon for land of lakes eggs attached to the rail, but also the store was running a promotion on one of the land of lakes eggs for 99c so I thought I'll give it ago, I bet they don't honor the coupon, there will be something in the small print!!! but no they honored the whole $1 so I ended up being paid 1c to take them away! and today I brough seeds for 20c a packet which where priced at 99c I was honest enough to say these are priced 99c and the girl said oh yer, we haven't got round to putting up the sign, so for 39c + tax I have got 12 eggs, carrots and cauliflower which hopefully should do us a few months??? we will see how they grow?

oh and on other things I have got for free or cheap, today I got my first copies of redbook and good housekeeping, I really like magazines especially when abroad, you can sometimes find a English language mag, and I find these a useful insight into a country, so about every couple of months I have brought both these mags in the super market, and you do learn a lot, such as Americans actually have a very similar humour, bet you did think that, when they let rip it is really funny, in fact I would say there is more humor in these than British mags, also the worries are so similar and then so different we don't have health insurence problems ect, anyway I when not drinking tea which I do by the gallon, I drink Coke by the gallon, and I noticed that there is a coke rewards thing so I signed up and in my first 3 weeks earned enough point to get a free years subscription to Good House Keeping, I would like to point out that I had a few bottles in the garage awaiting the trip to the bottle bank! we are so slack at doing that! for the UK people you get 5c back on every bottle or can you recycle, which seems not alot but I have never got less than $10 for 10 minutes work and the satifaction of the crunching or smashing, can not be measured! so anyway signed up and and got an offer for the redbook and homes and gardens for $10 for a years subscription for both, baring mind I have been spending $2.50 on these each! this is a good deal and delivered to your door, on reflection I should have waited! as I now up to 83 coke points, so not far off another free subscription but hay ho you live and learn!

my caveat would be if you don't actually drink coke this is an expensive way to get these things, but if you do, the awards can be amazing! (I also had a party after the original points splurg so a lot of coke consumed then (not by me :0) )

Hush! are their any boys around? not for the faint hearted this one...Sanitary product! or a I like to call them Tampon and Towel I am having to write thi5 without the aid of an 5 5o I will 5ub5titute with a 5, I can't fix it! the computer i5 buggered for the lack of a 5!!!!! grurr!
ju5t 5o you know if you will out the free 5tuff at walmart I very rarely have to pay full price or actually buy any becau5e there are 5o many offer5!! al5o Ly5ol never pay full price, they have 5oooo many money off, offer5!
I am 5ooo 5mug! except for the I now may need a new computer!!!!, for the want of a nail....

2 comments:

  1. Damn! You should start a whole other blog for the bargains... or resurrect Swap Shop! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Spike, I am a second Hand Rose, Allan used to call me that in our early days! funny my brother married a Rose and she is very similar to me, maybe flower names are a good omen? or maybe not if you are our husbands?

    ReplyDelete